This item at Smith’s Tavern is a parade torch/lantern, consisting of two tin plates (with four air holes) with the top and bottom plates welded together by four corner pillars. A glass globe (broken) is inside the tin plates with a center tin tube for the wick. There is a metal wire handle with an attached doser cap. The fuel was either kerosene or whale oil.
During political campaigns from the Civil War era up to 1900, night parades were very popular. It was cooler at night, people were off from work and it was quite a spectacle to behold. The heyday of night parades was between the 1860s to 1890s. Participants would carry torches similar to T170 to provide light and maybe even warmth.
|Location:||Left Shelf - Top|